Friday, March 9, 2018

Foreign Films and Their Comeback

Foreign films are the type of movies I have grown up with. My grandma and I have watched countless Turkish films and my parents and I have watched Spanish films since I was younger. It's a common style of film that we enjoy. I have recently read an article about foreign films and the decline of purchase and views in the United States market. All my life I have been so accustomed to watching these films and have never realized how in danger they are in the United States. The article states that there has been a 61% decrease of views in the last seven years of the most popular foreign films. The argument that is rapidly declining the love for foreign films is the subtitles and how many people find it irritating to have to read subtitles to understand the film. It's considered "inconvenient" when it is in another language. Moreover, Sony Classics has chosen to steer away from the foreign film making world since it is too risky in todays market.

My partner and I thought about a foreign take on our film and using Spanish as our main language. After looking at the decline of these films, we decided to go through with the production of a foreign drama film. I want to preserve the tradition that I grew up with and so does my partner.


Source:

Kaufman, A. (2014, May 06). The Lonely Subtitle: Heres Why U.S. Audiences Are Abandoning 
             Foreign-Language Films. Retrieved March 09, 2018, from   
             http://www.indiewire.com/2014/05/the-lonely-subtitle-heres-why-u-s-audiences-are-   
             abandoning-foreign-language-films-27051/

No comments:

Post a Comment

annnnnddd...... that's a wrap

We finally finished, here's the finished product: